Saturday, May 30, 2009

NASA ho!

Well, I have announcement to make:

I have been honored with acceptance into a graduate internship position with NASA/Ames Research Center over the summer! ;) Below is a shot of the center...


Ames is located in Mountain View, CA and specializes in wind-tunnel related research, but they do a lot of other things there too. My job is to design and implement a data acquisition system for an experimental helicopter rotor blade. Essentially, it is a trailing-edge flap (there are two per blade) that is independently controlled and will help reduce main hub vibration loads and noise as well as possibly increase power efficiency. I am very excited about it! I leave this evening (Sat) to go and stay with my aunt Sharon and cousing Scott in Santa Cruz, which will be a lot of fun.
I really love the unknown adventure aspect of this, it is very cool. Though, I haven't really had much of a chance to philosophize to the extent I might normally because I've been working really hard on trying to finish the Blackbox project this week. Okay, when I say finish, I mean phase 1 complete at least. That (As always) is proving to be a challenge, and I am looking forward to a time when I can relax slightly more on the weekends!

Anyhow, it's late and I need to sleep (I don't know what my sleep debt is, but I know I'm in the red!!) I just wanted to give a big shout out to all my peeps (yeah, I DID use that word) and let everyone know the good news. I wish you all a merry summer!
-Sir Gavin out!
P.s. I finally walked! yay! just to comemorate commencement, I (purposely?) forgot to put on sunscreen so I look a little darker than usual. But its all good, I hear the ladies like 'em tall, dark and handsome... two out of three ain't bad!! (:-P

3 comments:

  1. Yowdy Little Bro! SO EXCITED for you!! Although I do hope I don't have to wait till the end of your internship to get to see you since we are moving back this June!
    You will do awesome and I can't wait to hear more about all your great adventures!
    Love you!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO excited for you! What an honor! I've been bragging a little about you up here in Idaho... hope you don't mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Gavin! I'm so very proud of you!!! That's super exciting! I think I will have to brag a bit myself. ;0)

    ReplyDelete